Windshiled

The Original and the First Street Model.. let's chat
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Windshiled

Post by Monk »

Uggg I hate that, do a job and after realize something got screwed up, for us older ( pre heated shields) trucks I find my glass is separating, has white ish corners now..

One day I'd like to switch over from glass to heated
Last edited by Monk on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

[quote="Monk"]
Uggg I hate that, do a job and after realize something got screwed up, for us older ( pre heated shields) trucks I find my glass is separating, has white ish corners now..

One day I'd like to switch over from glass to heated
[/quote]

The windshields in my truck have been a nightmare since the restoration. The heated ones I bought C/W new gaskets from HPG David went "missing" after arriving at the shop in Edmonton so they put in a set of unheated / unmatched windshields found locally. Real shady IMHO. 
Then in the next shop getting the intercooler installed they showered them with sparks from a grinder and boned both of them with pits...
now I see they are leaking along the bottom so they were not installed right to begin with. 

Now I will be getting 2 new heated ones and standing there when they are installed. All the crap above was done when I was in Brazil working.

So let's see how GreenMeanie does with his as it may be the best deal around although Advent Acc has them on sale too. $899.00 US.

http://www.adv4x4.com/huh1wigl.html

I like his bullet proof idea...better for those expensive and soul destroying rock chips!

D
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Wow, yes I got couple stone hits, and lol ,get a bad knot in my gut...heheh

Bullet proof would rock,

Ya price was cheap

Lol why can I picture it, (when you get the new glass installed) you standing there with a baseball bat , tapping the other hand till they are done, properly,....heheh
Last edited by Monk on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

GreenMeanie
CHC Pilot

Post by GreenMeanie »

I almost bought the stock glass on sale at 900us per side but that is 1800us plus
exchange x1.30 plus shipping taxes duty gets it well over 2500 bucks Canadian.
After several of the stock windshields de-laminating i figure its time to try something else.
I did order the new seals from HPG and they came in yesterday. They arrived via DHL.
70us after shipping was 110can plus a nasty extra 28 bucks in tax and duty when they showed up at the door.
Early 1997 HMC4, 1 of 35, Original Block H296, 110,000 miles and no cracks yet, G10 green
Custom made Brush Gaurd, Roof Rack, Overhead Console and Sound System.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Dhl ALWAYS ALWAYS dings me had for duty , but weirdly I get lucky lots with ups and duty charges ..or reg mail I rarely pay duty ....

Ya laminating is basically what's my issue is, lol A frosted outer edge, " is not custom" , lol just falling apart, hehehe

But yes that price point is sweet!!

At least our dollar is heading up again after for ever....
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

[quote="Monk"]
Dhl ALWAYS ALWAYS dings me had for duty , but weirdly I get lucky lots with ups and duty charges ..or reg mail I rarely pay duty ....

Ya laminating is basically what's my issue is, lol A frosted outer edge, " is not custom" , lol just falling apart, hehehe

But yes that price point is sweet!!

At least our dollar is heading up again after for ever....
[/quote]
Monk

Agreed on DHL. Over the last year and a half bringing in all kinds of stuff for the truck I got nailed everytime the supplier in the US used them. Davids stuff @ HPG is the worst for that from my experience. There are ways to self broker but it is a PITA. 

These little flat windshields are cheap as hell until you want to put the heated ones in....then they really nail us for $0.40 worth of little wires and a connector. (Military pricing likely) If the H1 was still in production we would be seeing these heated windshields aftermarket for $350 CAD in stock almost everywhere here in Canada. But that is a moot point now.... Bend over and get your windshields is the reality now.

Thought that rant would make it feel better... it didnt.   :argh:

I wait for GreenMeanie to fill us in on his new glass.

D

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
GreenMeanie
CHC Pilot

Post by GreenMeanie »

Glass came today. I was really impressed on how fast they got here.
Product looks amazing. I will post details later,, woohoo111
Early 1997 HMC4, 1 of 35, Original Block H296, 110,000 miles and no cracks yet, G10 green
GreenMeanie
CHC Pilot

Post by GreenMeanie »

Wow!! is all i can say!! At first glance this glass is simply awesome.
This appears to be a huge improvement over the stock glass. Hard to really say till its installed.
For sure, a very high quality triplex similar to what you might find on a jetliner or high end Lexus.
Glass is 7mm top tinted. One minor issue is that the wires do not have connectors.
Just as well as there are two kinds of stock connectors. I will probably cut the connectors
off my existing glass and reuse them. Wires are extra long so they can be cut to where you need them.
Heating wires inside the glass are less visible, so big improvement there as well.
Triplex isn't new but its a much stronger composite than regular glass and has some impact resistance similar
to a Star laminate. glass may also be a bit lighter than stock and roughly 2 mil over stock NH glass.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

I'm soooo glad for you, I bet you'll love them,...

Gawd I swear ,if this was me, I'd walk with my new windshield .... And trip or something stupid,hehheh

Even by your pics I'm totally getting the itch to pull the trigger soon as well,,

,,,,excuse me while I go outside and spit on my windshield,heehhe
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

[quote="GreenMeanie"]
Wow!! is all i can say!! At first glance this glass is simply awesome.

This appears to be a huge improvement over the stock glass. Hard to really say till its installed.

For sure, a very high quality triplex similar to what you might find on a jetliner or high end Lexus.

Glass is 7mm top tinted. One minor issue is that the wires do not have connectors.

Just as well as there are two kinds of stock connectors. I will probably cut the connectors

off my existing glass and reuse them. Wires are extra long so they can be cut to where you need them.

Heating wires inside the glass are less visible, so big improvement there as well.

Triplex isn't new but its a much stronger composite than regular glass and has some impact resistance similar

to a Star laminate. glass may also be a bit lighter than stock and roughly 2 mil over stock NH glass.
[/quote]

Any update on your new glass GM? Did you get them installed yet?

D