Unlocking the Secrets of your ECM

Luxury at its finest with the pleasure of off Road
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Unlocking the Secrets of your ECM

Post by whitehumh2 »

As many of you know, every manufacturer makes an OEM ECM program that is good enough at best and leaves tons of space for improvement. The best news is things like mileage, power, accleration, transmission shift points etc., are ALL programmable on our modern vehicles.

I have been tuning for some time now and let me tell you the différences are really Night and Day!

I will start to post you guys some common issues and simple cures...all done with a click here and there!

So Stay Tuned...this post will be ongoing!

But I not going to start tonight! Just want to make you all think and dream of the possibilities and then realize that these can ALL Become a REALITY!!!

Later,

Kev
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Unlocking the Secrets of your ECM

Post by whitehumh2 »

So, one of the first Mods we all do to our Hummers is change the tires and wheels. Whether you go for the offroad ability or onroad look either way as soon as you are not running stock rubber...Your ECM needs to be Tuned!!!

What I mean by this is, Tire size is one of the main factors that direct affects your Speedometer reading and consequently all your transmission shift points and guess what overall fuel economy!!!

The best thing to do regardless of your tire choice, is verify your speedometer accuracy against a GPS. Go for a Highway drive and set the cruise to 100km/h. If the GPS and the dash do not match exactly...your truck will suck! Suck Fuel! Suck under acceleration! Down shift for no good reason, etc.

Most tuning software has the ability to correct for tire size and gearing.

The handheld tuners will not be your best friend here...afterall just because the tire says it is a 37 doesn't mean that it is!

I use EFI Live and it took me over a dozen separate adjustment to get my speedometer exact...but it is really exact now!

Hope this tip helps save you some money!!

Stay tuned for more!

Kev

Zeusameow
Club Member

Post by Zeusameow »

[quote="Polar Bear"]
So, one of the first Mods we all do to our Hummers is change the tires and wheels. Whether you go for the offroad ability or onroad look either way as soon as you are not running stock rubber...Your ECM needs to be Tuned!!!

What I mean by this is, Tire size is one of the main factors that direct affects your Speedometer reading and consequently all your transmission shift points and guess what overall fuel economy!!!

The best thing to do regardless of your tire choice, is verify your speedometer accuracy against a GPS. Go for a Highway drive and set the cruise to 100km/h. If the GPS and the dash do not match exactly...your truck will suck! Suck Fuel! Suck under acceleration! Down shift for no good reason, etc.

Most tuning software has the ability to correct for tire size and gearing.

The handheld tuners will not be your best friend here...afterall just because the tire says it is a 37 doesn't mean that it is!

I use EFI Live and it took me over a dozen separate adjustment to get my speedometer exact...but it is really exact now!

Hope this tip helps save you some money!!

Stay tuned for more!

Kev
[/quote]

So how do you tune the ECU?
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

Post by Big_Dub »

Zeusameow,  I don't know what your knowledge base/experience with these things are but this is not something that a non-expert could tinker with.  PB is a professional . 

On a somewhat related note, Has anyone had any experience with the Predator RapTorq computer? 64HP and 79ft/lbs seems like a lot to gain from a stock truck with just an ECU change? I've been considering sending in My ECU to have this done but am on the fence as the claims seem to be pretty bold and I can have a custom tune created at a local shop for a few hundred $ mind you the gains they claim are far less than this and they have mentioned that unless other mods are made (CAM, Gearing, Charger etc..) Than it is pretty much a waste of $ to do a tune. 
Roy
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Roy »

ECU's have over rated results, for the H1's, very little noticable improvement. H2's, ask Kevin what he has done with his ECU. Not really worth the purchase when a few guys have had better results on their own
                                      99 Wagon
                          5.9 Cummins 12 valve  mech.                                     Stocking most parts to fix your H1  :smil9:
                                   41.5-13.5 R16.5 Pitbull Rockers,
                                     Auburn lockers front and rear
                                  Full custom underbody protection
                                                3" body lift
                                          4" side rock tubes                                 
                               12100 rear cv shafts                                                                        

519-272-1761   :cellphone:
<p style="text-align:center;"> 
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Zeusameow,  I don't know what your knowledge base/experience with these things are but this is not something that a non-expert could tinker with.  PB is a professional . 

On a somewhat related note, Has anyone had any experience with the Predator RapTorq computer? 64HP and 79ft/lbs seems like a lot to gain from a stock truck with just an ECU change? I've been considering sending in My ECU to have this done but am on the fence as the claims seem to be pretty bold and I can have a custom tune created at a local shop for a few hundred $ mind you the gains they claim are far less than this and they have mentioned that unless other mods are made (CAM, Gearing, Charger etc..) Than it is pretty much a waste of $ to do a tune.
You will never get that much power from just a tune. The ECU might have the potential to unleash that much but normally it would have to be in combination to other add-ons. Only the diesels can get power like that from simply tuning the ECU... but a gasser, no way. Half of that would still be a stretch for tune only!

Hope this helps,

Kev