H2 external tranny cooler

Luxury at its finest with the pleasure of off Road
citiboy
CHC Trail Guide

H2 external tranny cooler

Post by citiboy »

Just installed the H2 external transmission cooler and completely by-passed the radiator internal cooler. Now i don't have to worry about the coolant mixing with transmission fluids when the radiator internal cooler go. 

I used this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060NKA1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Also, did this:
replaced transmission filter, transmission pan and gasket (old pan we're dented from off-roading)
completely flushed the transmission fluids with oem dexron 6 and reset transmission fluid life to 100% with Tech 2
replaced transfer case fluids with oem dexron 6
replaced front and rear differential fluids with oem 75w90 synthetic gear oil
replaced rear brake pads and parking brake shoes
replaced torsion bar cross member bushings

Serviced front brakes
Need right rear parking brake cable, siezed, parts on order.

Road test result with the new external cooler (about 20 km distance), will update for long term use:
54*C at idle with 90*C engine temp.
65*C at 110 km/hr with 28*C outside temp

I used to run around 98*C with the stock tranny cooler.
I will see if i need to install the by-pass valve in the winter.

Last edited by citiboy on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">2008 Hummer H2 Luxury Edition
<div> </div>
<div>Toyo MT 38x13.50x18 on Rockstar. Green keys. 2" rear spacers. 1" bodylift. Cognito UCA, steering bracket, front stab links. Bilstein 5100 shocks. Moog inner/outer tie-rods, pitman, idler arm & bracket with remote zerk. E&G Classics fender flares. ARP 434-1301 ex. man. stud kit. Airaid perf. air filter. Crown Performance brake lines. Warn PowerPlant HD. Rubberduck UCP. Gobi Ranger Roof Rack. Morimoto FX-R 3.0 projector headlights with 55w AC HID kit. Hella Rallye 4000 aux lights. Evans waterless coolant.</div>

<p class="bbc_center"><a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPamkrWbiY">Off-Road Videos</a>
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: H2 external tranny cooler

Post by Monk »

Nice and clean!!
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Sweet!!!

But you beat me again!!! I was planning that exact mod with the same part?? Did you get the special thermostat bypass for the cooler to help the transmission to warm up in the cold??

Really Nice work as Always!
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
citiboy
CHC Trail Guide

Post by citiboy »

I didn't install a thermostat bypass yet as i have to see if it's really needed in cold weather. If i do, then i'll install this 
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-transmission-fluid-thermostat-165f-p-423.html
Last edited by citiboy on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<div> </div>
<div>Toyo MT 38x13.50x18 on Rockstar. Green keys. 2" rear spacers. 1" bodylift. Cognito UCA, steering bracket, front stab links. Bilstein 5100 shocks. Moog inner/outer tie-rods, pitman, idler arm & bracket with remote zerk. E&G Classics fender flares. ARP 434-1301 ex. man. stud kit. Airaid perf. air filter. Crown Performance brake lines. Warn PowerPlant HD. Rubberduck UCP. Gobi Ranger Roof Rack. Morimoto FX-R 3.0 projector headlights with 55w AC HID kit. Hella Rallye 4000 aux lights. Evans waterless coolant.</div>

<p class="bbc_center"><a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPamkrWbiY">Off-Road Videos</a>
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Why not the one from Tru Cool??

citiboy
CHC Trail Guide

Post by citiboy »

bad experience from actual truck owners.
<div> </div>

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Good to Know!!!

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Hey Jimmy,

By some chance, did you take any pics of the cooler lines under the cooler and how you connected the new cooler to the existing lines?

Thanks,

Kev

citiboy
CHC Trail Guide

Post by citiboy »

Kev, sorry for the late reply i didn't see your post. No, i didn't take any pics under the cooler. It's just a simple connections, i just used the supplied transmission hose from the kit, cut it to fit both lines and directly connected it from the new cooler straight to the oem tranny cooler lines that i removed from the radiator and the old oem external cooler lines. Very easy mods to do. I just came back from Boston and my max tranny temps is 75*C at 28*C outside temp. through the mountains.
Last edited by citiboy on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<div> </div>

citiboy
CHC Trail Guide

Post by citiboy »

***Update***

<div> </div>