H2 driver side axle seal

Luxury at its finest with the pleasure of off Road
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

H2 driver side axle seal

Post by Big_Dub »

Have a substantial leak and have to replace the drive side seal. I know it is recommended to remove the diff (to gain access to the cert clip) However, came across the below video where the diff was left in the truck. Has anyone replaced their seal? Can you offer any advice? Thanks! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0wSjCZMBNE
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: H2 driver side axle seal

Post by whitehumh2 »

The driver's side Axle seal can easily be done in place without removing the diff from the truck. I have done it many many times!

The passenger side can be done as well but requires the removal of the right differential side tube from the truck.

Both seal changes can realistically be done in under an hour per side.

Hope this helps,

Kev
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

Post by Big_Dub »

PB Thanks! Your a stud of a member and always offer much helpful advice, which I appreciate immensely!

I did the passenger side seal last season and did remove the  right side of the axle tube to do so.  I will be doing the driver side (with the method shown in the video) tomorrow. I will post about the result once completed.
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

Post by Big_Dub »

Followed the procedure that was outlined in the video from the first post.  Worked perfectly, seal has been replaced.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

I love those kinda days, lol always feels good after you can fix something yourself
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
citiboy
CHC Trail Guide

Post by citiboy »

I will be doing this job (both sides) soon as i'm replacing the front diff. cross member and mounting bushings. 
<p class="bbc_center">2008 Hummer H2 Luxury Edition
<div> </div>
<div>Toyo MT 38x13.50x18 on Rockstar. Green keys. 2" rear spacers. 1" bodylift. Cognito UCA, steering bracket, front stab links. Bilstein 5100 shocks. Moog inner/outer tie-rods, pitman, idler arm & bracket with remote zerk. E&G Classics fender flares. ARP 434-1301 ex. man. stud kit. Airaid perf. air filter. Crown Performance brake lines. Warn PowerPlant HD. Rubberduck UCP. Gobi Ranger Roof Rack. Morimoto FX-R 3.0 projector headlights with 55w AC HID kit. Hella Rallye 4000 aux lights. Evans waterless coolant.</div>

<p class="bbc_center"><a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPamkrWbiY">Off-Road Videos</a>
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

Post by Big_Dub »

citiboy, passenger side is a bit different as you will have to remove the axel tube to so the seal.
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

Post by Big_Dub »

Has any one replaced the front differential bearing/housing (Driver side)?  I have a leak from that area and would like to know what's involved in removing and re-sealing.  Thank you.
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Has any one replaced the front differential bearing/housing (Driver side)?  I have a leak from that area and would like to know what's involved in removing and re-sealing.  Thank you.
Is it just the axle seal or are you referring to the case half?

If it is just the axle seal;

The driver's side Axle seal can easily be done in place without removing the diff from the truck. I have done it many many times!

The passenger side can be done as well but requires the removal of the right differential side tube from the truck.

Both seal changes can realistically be done in under an hour per side.

Hope this helps,

Kev
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
Big_Dub
CHC Pilot

Post by Big_Dub »

Thanks for the response PB. The axle seals are fine- replaced those with no issue.  I had a leak from the diff bearing housing that threads into the case on the drivers side.  I removed and replaced the O ring, and added some PTFA tape on the last few threads.