Hummer Conversion Shops in Ontario

The great Hummer look and Beefier then you average Compact SUV
ChadB
Club Member

Hummer Conversion Shops in Ontario

Post by ChadB »

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 H3 with the 3.7 and over 200,000 km.  I bought it in 2013 for $15,000 and since then I have dumped an additional $6000 into it to keep it alive and running.  This year I've kind of lost faith in the 3.7 I think it might be on it's way out.  So I'm on the fence as to what to do about it.  The sensible thing to do would be to trade it in but I love the H3 and I wonder what the cost would be to have a shop throw in an LS engine?  Certainly it's got to be cheaper than buying something new to replace it.  

Anyone know a shop in Ontario that has done such a thing? Preferably in the Toronto area.
Last edited by ChadB on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • 2007 H3 Luxury 3.7 L
  • Polar Bear brush guard and tail light protectors
  • GM Roof Marker lights
  • Rough Country level kit - With T-Bar tweak at 24
  • Skyjacker 7000 shocks
  • Magnaflow exhaust
  • Trail Duty extended bump stops
  • AirDoc intake- AFE filter
  • 315-75-16 LT Eldorado Mud Claws
  • 55 watt off road lights
yevych
CHC Pilot

Re: Hummer Conversion Shops in Ontario

Post by yevych »

What is wrong with 3.7? :-). Neither H was build for speed :-). From what I know - it is very costly to upgrade to LS from 3.7. It is much easier and cheaper to do for 5.3L. Search YuoTube and other H forums - some people who did it suggest to sell 3.7 -> buy 5.3 -> drop LS in it
2010 H3 Adventure 3.7L - Hummer evolution :), 35" Mickey Thomson MTZ on 16" MT SideBiters, oem underbody & rocker protection, Safari snorkle, K&N filters, Air Doc intake, Rola roof rack, Off-road lights, Runva winch on High-Mount and Warn on tray, Outfitter heavy duty tie rods.
ChadB
Club Member

Post by ChadB »

I don't know. Something about that 3.7 just shakes my confidence.  Most of the issues I've had with the engine have been electrical, dealing with a lot of emission errors and various sensors needing replaced.  It also burns or is losing a little oil.  Most recently the thing has been squealing when I start it up.  Not really a belt squeal but perhaps the fan??  So another thing I need to get looked at.  Seems like every trip to the local garage costs me around $2000.  

I've been told the 3.7 engines are notorious for having problems with the heads and I may be mistaken but I believe the previous owner had already replaced them once while they were still under warranty.  I'm not interested in the Hummer going fast.  I've heard everyone saying, LS engines are easy and "bulletproof" which I take to mean trouble free.  Of course there is the added bonus of the extra horses to move the big tank around but I really don't care about that.  I want reliability.

Hummers are a dying thing out there.  I really like mine because it's unique and everyone has an opinion when you pull up in one, sometimes good and sometimes bad.  It's also a tank that goes anywhere I ask it to go.  I want to keep mine on the road but not if it's going to be an endless money pit.  Last summer was $4k and really smacked my budget.
Last edited by ChadB on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • 2007 H3 Luxury 3.7 L
  • GM Roof Marker lights
  • Skyjacker 7000 shocks
  • Magnaflow exhaust
yevych
CHC Pilot

Post by yevych »

That definitely doesn't sound good... and with so many problems - I agree that it doesn't make sense to waste more. My 2010 3.7L runs like new :-) (knocking the wood) - I never had any problems... 
I'm same like you - really like my H3 and want to keep for long time. Never really needed more power... but it would be nice to have though. 
Good luck in your research. Unfortunately I don't know anybody in GTA area who would do it... 
Last edited by yevych on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 H3 Adventure 3.7L - Hummer evolution :), 35" Mickey Thomson MTZ on 16" MT SideBiters, oem underbody & rocker protection, Safari snorkle, K&N filters, Air Doc intake, Rola roof rack, Off-road lights, Runva winch on High-Mount and Warn on tray, Outfitter heavy duty tie rods.
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Dump the 3.7L!

Consider either a drop in 5.3L LS engine or better yet a Cummins Diesel Conversion from Roy's Shop!

You could have crazy power and amazing mileage too!

Maybe Contact Roy, he will be the best person in your area to help you out!
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
yevych
CHC Pilot

Post by yevych »

[quote="Polar Bear"]
Dump the 3.7L!

Consider either a drop in 5.3L LS engine or better yet a Cummins Diesel Conversion from Roy's Shop!

[/quote]

Kev, I'm surprised you didn't suggest 'dump h3 and buy h2' :-)
ChadB
Club Member

Post by ChadB »

[quote="Polar Bear"]
Dump the 3.7L!

[/quote]
Yeah a Cummins Diesel would be pretty great as well.  So who is Roy?
  • 2007 H3 Luxury 3.7 L
  • GM Roof Marker lights
  • Skyjacker 7000 shocks
  • Magnaflow exhaust
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

Think about dumping the entire truck and picking up a good low mileage H3 Alpha. 
Ours has been really good. Just the normal maintenance you would expect at 95K. Brakes, tires, struts and an annoying blower relay recall that GM did finally come good for. Runs great and can keep up to everything around you on the road. Might be cheaper in the long run than doing a conversion that is forever "almost done" meaning tranny upgrades, computer flashes......etc.
Granted our H3 Alpha is only a menace in city traffic as my wife drives the hell out of it daily; and not doing any offroad fun, but it has been reliable and 0 engine, transmission or driveline issues.

My wife wont part with hers. Its a 2010 and I tried getting her a new SUV type road menace last year...she would not even consider a day without her H3.

My 2 cents...

Good luck.. 
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
Roy
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Roy »

[quote="ChadB"]
Yeah a Cummins Diesel would be pretty great as well.  So who is Roy?
[/quote]
It is I, 

The cummins transplant would be a lot of work. The 3.7 to the next size up would be the best option in my opinion.You have to be able to work on the truck afterwards without too much BS.
My 5.9 swap is great , but try and get someone to work on it, good thing I am a mechanic.
                                      99 Wagon
                          5.9 Cummins 12 valve  mech.                                     Stocking most parts to fix your H1  :smil9:
                                   41.5-13.5 R16.5 Pitbull Rockers,
                                     Auburn lockers front and rear
                                  Full custom underbody protection
                                                3" body lift
                                          4" side rock tubes                                 
                               12100 rear cv shafts                                                                        

519-272-1761   :cellphone:
<p style="text-align:center;"> 
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Kev, I'm surprised you didn't suggest 'dump h3 and buy h2' :-)
No Need! The H3 is a Great truck...it just needs more power!
Last edited by whitehumh2 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a