Transfer case change over :)

Open to the public and everyone to view, a general area to just chat about anything...
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Transfer case change over :)

Post by Monk »

It all started with a horrible bang/ skip sound on acceleration .
If I drove gently everything would be fine, but leaving the light I would get a Bang from first to second after transmission shifted.
So I went to Roy and he checked my half shafts and everything seems good so we figured it was probably my transfer case.
I ended up getting low kilometer used transfer case, from a guy doing a Dmax swap, which which turns out is working great after few days driving so far ;)

This is a side to side picture ,and some of the case laying there hehe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Monk on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Transfer case change over :)

Post by Monk »

9/16 socket is your friend with this job.
Overall it was not too bad, took me about 8 hours from start to finish.
I know the book says three or four hours but I guess I'm slow.
I stopped to clean Parts I replaced my rear seal, and just try to make sure everything was nice and clean.
This is a picture of it with the transfer case out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Lol, I'd say the hardest part was when I had all the bolts off trying to actually get the transfer case to shake out of the transmission.
And another part that sucked was the nuts that went on the studs came out from the case so I have to try to remove those nuts after the fact which was a pain in the ass.
Not sure if you can see in the picture but that's how the whole stud came out and then it hits the transmission
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

The only reason I decided to take on this job is cuz I've had my transmission pulled out and in at Roy's shop two times and felt quite comfortable with the linkages and stuff.
His teaching skills completely left me very confident on everything I did.

Lol, only part that almost killed me was lifting up the new one and try to get it on to the studs.
That sucker is heavy even after 10 seconds your arm start to burn out.
My legs helped to hahah

This picture is a back up in the truck and bolted
Last edited by Monk on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

As you can see I went a little crazy with the sealer when I put in the new output seal.
The end looks a bit damp that's because I was putting some transmission fluid on all the rubber to keep it moist
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Only had one casualty, I broke one of the sensors on the front half of the top.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Oh, lol
There was two casualties

After two days of driving it I went to look at everything underneath and noticed my 3-inch Muffler Camp was gone, then I remembered I only hand tightened it to the transfer case ,so basically the nuts All Shook loose.
Thank god napa cares them.
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Glad to hear you were able to source a used one so quickly.. i love the look of nice clean parts replacing old greasy/dirty ones.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Yes got lucky. Normally when I want a good used part, you never find one....this worked out great.
I have a small seeping leak (I think) front output seal.... so have to change that as well....
It's not bad but because I know it's there it bugs me, hehe