The ALBERTA chat thread!

A more general area for members only, like your local "spot" lets chat about truck stuff or anything that is bugging you or share something..
nitrous
CHC Pilot

Re: The ALBERTA chat thread!

Post by nitrous »

Hopefully your body work is less invasive than mine was. It took me a lot longer than expected to finish. I posted pictures up in the how did you do that section.
humybby
CHC Pilot

Post by humybby »

Where the rear door latches are bolted to the body (the door stricker) there's some galvanic corrosion.  I'm having it cut out and replaced to remount the door latch properly on the body.

I brought it to an expert that I trust.  Not sure when I'll see my truck again though......

When I do get it back I need to replace some rear bushings, a selection of ball joints and start driving it again.  I'm using my Iltis as a daily driver.  It's awesome - but not when you drive it everyday.

Greg
-------------------------------------------------------------

AKA - Hollywood

2001 HMCS - knows how to get to Moab all by itself!
nitrous
CHC Pilot

Post by nitrous »

I didn't even try to go get a quote for the rust repair on my truck. I looked online and saw what a few people paid to have the same work done and decided I could figure it out. As with everything the first side took about 4 times longer than the second side. And it gave me an excuse to buy more tools. The aluminum stuff would be tricky, I didn't have any really bad aluminum issues. A little surface corrosion in a couple places but nothing I couldn't get back to bare aluminum with a little light sanding.
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

I don't have a shop anymore so I had no choice but to get it done. I would have enjoyed doing it and having all those new cool tools but pretty sure they did a much better job than I could have. I did not have big issues with the aluminum either, other than around the rear door latch posts. But it appears lots of us have that one to deal with. My biggest problems were the galvanic mess on the steel where it meets the aluminum around the cab similar to what I saw in your pictures. Again common issue I see.... oh ya... and a fairly serious scratch on the drivers door where a Mercedes imbedded itself. I could have fixed the door but replaced it entirely. (The Mercedes...write off)  

You seem to have done a great job and have the new tools and skills... you may be getting lots of calls!

Very impressive mods and additions on your truck as well! 

Derek
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

PS... You don't want to know what it cost to do my truck! I'll just say I could have almost built the shop by the time it was done. You made a good choice.
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
humybby
CHC Pilot

Post by humybby »

Marco......

AKA - Hollywood

Rosco
CHC Pilot

Post by Rosco »

...polo
humybby
CHC Pilot

Post by humybby »

Well.......  Not much happening here lately but I do have some good news!

I've been working for the past few days on the Hummer Club's Moab event.  The dates are set, I'm applying to the BLM because our 5 year permit has expired, I'm selecting a new hotel for the Durango portion of the event..... Lot's going on.

I have a theme for the event but I'm still working out exactly how things will play out.

I'm expect that this year the event will be smaller than last years event but I think we'll still get a great group of trucks.

The slave labour continues....

On a completely unrelated note, I'm also putting together the season for The Calgary Exotic Auto Group including 6 track days and a selection of social events.  I'm also planning a black tie formal party next month.  At the same time I continue to work on my race car.  Currently I'm building a panhard bar.  Our rules are such that I can install a panhard bar as long as I create it myself.  If I purchase one I can't use it (they're trying to keep costs low).  So it's time to get the welder and grinder out!

I do have a few things I need to do on my truck - I'll get to it eventually.

Mostly unemployed, but still keeping busy.

Greg

AKA - Hollywood

humybby
CHC Pilot

Post by humybby »

Did the Lost Knife trail yesterday. Sunny, calm and warm. It was a sweet day out there.

Greg

AKA - Hollywood

humybby
CHC Pilot

Post by humybby »

I should go wheeling sometime in Feb. Anyone in?

AKA - Hollywood