CHC Website

A more general area for members only, like your local "spot" lets chat about truck stuff or anything that is bugging you or share something..
Domino
Club Member

CHC Website

Post by Domino »

The CHC Website and forum was set to be shut down Effective November 10, 2014. Do to significant interest in keeping things going, that has been delayed to provide an opportinuty for new Management

At this point in time there is no paying sponsors and no funding to maintain the site hosting and software support.

The cost of hosting the forum is not high, about $600USD per year.   There are some additional licensing and support costs.  Say its $1000 all in to provide an idea of the costs.

If there is any interest in maintaining the forum, please contact me as soon as possible.

email:  Domino@ontarioconditions.com
Last edited by Domino on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected year.
Autumn Walker
CHC Pilot

Re: CHC Website

Post by Autumn Walker »

Domino - highly interested in maintaining.

I will shoot out an email.
2007 HUMMER H2

You have not been offroad until you've had a HUMMER in the woods.

Blacksheep HUMMER Squadron : GREAT WHITE NORTH

Taking the Blacksheep international.
Khamul
CHC Pilot

Post by Khamul »

Thanks for posting in the Public section as we discussed.

I would like to put forth the amount of $250 and have my company Logo up..... can we get three more?
Live life like there is no tomorrow!! You never know what's around the next corner.....
GreenMeanie
CHC Pilot

Post by GreenMeanie »

Nov 10 2015?? That is over a year away or did you mean 2014??
It was to be expected i suppose. There has been little activity here in recent years. I drop in once a week to see whats going on and not much interest overall from what i can see. A week can go by with no new threads and months if your an H1 guy. The group is so spread out geographicly that even small meets are expensive and hard to co ordinate.
I think it takes a hell of a commitment to keep a site like this going with such a small number of active members and costing what it does. I had no idea it cost that much to run this site.
Given the cost,,,
I say just make a new smaller reflective forum and get all the active members emails signed up and get a webs account for under 100 bucks a year. I run my two sites for even less. As it stands there are well less than 100 active members so its not a huge database. The CHC had a lot of sign ups but most are no longer active and most have sold, moved on, perhaps lost interest. These days i run into more CHC members on Facebook. Perhaps a Facebook group page could provide a meeting place and a worthy consideration being free and much higher visibility overall. A You tube account to upload relevant media which most of us have already and best of  all a user run page that costs nothing.
Anyway just a thought whatever its worth.
Early 1997 HMC4, 1 of 35, Original Block H296, 110,000 miles and no cracks yet, G10 green
Custom made Brush Gaurd, Roof Rack, Overhead Console and Sound System.
ROADBLOK
CHC Pilot

Post by ROADBLOK »

Nov 10 2015?? That is over a year away or did you mean 2014??

It was to be expected i suppose. There has been little activity here in recent years. I drop in once a week to see whats going on and not much interest overall from what i can see. A week can go by with no new threads and months if your an H1 guy. The group is so spread out geographicly that even small meets are expensive and hard to co ordinate.

I think it takes a hell of a commitment to keep a site like this going with such a small number of active members and costing what it does. I had no idea it cost that much to run this site.

Given the cost,,,

I say just make a new smaller reflective forum and get all the active members emails signed up and get a webs account for under 100 bucks a year. I run my two sites for even less. As it stands there are well less than 100 active members so its not a huge database. The CHC had a lot of sign ups but most are no longer active and most have sold, moved on, perhaps lost interest. These days i run into more CHC members on Facebook. Perhaps a Facebook group page could provide a meeting place and a worthy consideration being free and much higher visibility overall. A You tube account to upload relevant media which most of us have already and best of  all a user run page that costs nothing.

Anyway just a thought whatever its worth.

It doesn't help that the forum president has pretty much up and disappeared! He hasn't been around forever. I know that from the grapevine that he has been busy like the rest of us, but come on! How hard is it come on and post a local meetup to get everyone to come out and see each other? Before you say that anyone can, which is true, it's his site, if he wants traffic and activity, he needs to have a proactive role.

As for the cost of the site... Why not use a forum like proboards? They are free and great. I run two forums on there and have no complaints about it. There is support staff for any kind of help you would need.

Derek, if you ever come on this site... YOU HAVE A PM!
Autumn Walker
CHC Pilot

Post by Autumn Walker »

Awaiting response to email...

I run my own web hosting business and I run other Invision Power Boards - if we can get a couple members to kick in some sponsorship for licensing costs I will throw in the domain / server costs. We can easily keep this board alive from a technology perspective.
2007 HUMMER H2

ROADBLOK
CHC Pilot

Post by ROADBLOK »

Problem is we need the members and to be active, and as of last year, they haven't been. I myself am guilty of not being here. There is no one talking or no events taking place to peak my interest. It's sad! I like the people I've come to get to know from this site.
Autumn Walker
CHC Pilot

Post by Autumn Walker »

[quote="ROADBLOK"]
Problem is we need the members and to be active, and as of last year, they haven't been. I myself am guilty of not being here. There is no one talking or no events taking place to peak my interest. It's sad! I like the people I've come to get to know from this site.
[/quote]

Truth - step 1 is keeping the board alive though.
2007 HUMMER H2

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

I had been away. My dad was sick and just passed away and many things have changed legally in Québec regarding trails but I was going to start posting stuff like crazy this weekend!

How much to do the Pro Boards???

I am sure we can kick start this site again!
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
Khamul
CHC Pilot

Post by Khamul »

I had been away. My dad was sick and just passed away and many things have changed legally in Québec regarding trails but I was going to start posting stuff like crazy this weekend!

How much to do the Pro Boards???

I am sure we can kick start this site again!

Sorry to hear Bro.... Nothing but love from outwest!
Live life like there is no tomorrow!! You never know what's around the next corner.....