Bringing more activity to the site/forums

A more general area for members only, like your local "spot" lets chat about truck stuff or anything that is bugging you or share something..
Injunfarian
CHC President

Bringing more activity to the site/forums

Post by Injunfarian »

Hello all,

If you are not aware, Roy has handed me the reigns to the site/club and with my marketing/web development background I am hoping to breath new life into the site/forums.

I believe we can leverage off the come back of the Hummer brand as well.

Currently the forums are closed to public, meaning you have to have an account in order to see the forums and read the posts. I feel like this was not an issue originally back in the hay day of internet forums.. However with social media now adays forums are having a much harder time to compete and even the giants like Pirate4x4 etc are becoming dull and inactive.

I feel like opening the forums up to public to read will help with SEO(search engine optimization) as well as entice people to register in order to post/comment on topics they find interesting.

I am still thinking about keeping various forums protected/hidden from the public view.. but I believe the tech forums should be displayed since that is the most common things people search for is how to fix issues they are having with their vehicle. If we can get some search engines crawling on those posts I believe we have a fighting chance on bring this forum back to life again.. likely will not be what it once was atleast until the new Hummer is launched... but should add some activity to it.

Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Re: Bringing more activity to the site/forums

Post by ddgermann »

Appreciate your efforts and ideas. Agreed it would be great to see this forum come alive again.

Hats off for you taking this on
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Agreed as well, when people do google searches, they'd find way to the forums here.

Most likely would want to ask questions as well as they would obviously be searching
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Great to hear, I am going to be slowly restructuring the forums as I get.

Also does anyone on here use a program, application or website to track maintenance/modifications to their truck? If one was built(Web Application accessible by Desktop and mobile apps) would you use it?
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
Roy
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Roy »

I think the main user would be mechanics listing all repairs .If the owner would let them. Not sure how many individuals would do this...some repairs will never be listed...self errors.
                                      99 Wagon
                          5.9 Cummins 12 valve  mech.                                     Stocking most parts to fix your H1  :smil9:
                                   41.5-13.5 R16.5 Pitbull Rockers,
                                     Auburn lockers front and rear
                                  Full custom underbody protection
                                                3" body lift
                                          4" side rock tubes                                 
                               12100 rear cv shafts                                                                        

519-272-1761   :cellphone:
<p style="text-align:center;"> 
WIDELOAD
CHC Pilot

Post by WIDELOAD »

Buyer's guides, classifieds and repair how to's are the common search items I can think of for public interest.

I'm part of one other automotive forum that's still very busy and a lot of the traffic I see, is for those topics.
James

-----------------

1995 Hummer H1 Wagon
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Roy: Yes, I do not think there will be enough Hummer users alone for it.. So I am going to build it to be open to all vehicles - makes, models, types(atv, boats, etc.) . It will allow you to track your maintenance, parts, serial numbers(if it gets stolen) etc etc.. I just think starting off with a smaller group e.g. Hummer owners to test, provide feedback etc will be good. 

Wideload: Yes, that is what I am hoping for if we open the forums up to Search Engines when people are looking for buyers guides, classifieds, how to's etc they will hopefully be greeted with our forum and hopefully push more people here. 
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
maddogz
Club Member

Post by maddogz »

We need to embrace the Humvees crowd, lots and lots of them coming in. I'll soon own 4 and my friend down the street will own 3. Our issues are definitely parts. So an active parts for sale category will help us for sure. Not only that, the WTB category, I could help out. I litterly go to the US every 2 weeks to pick up parts(I live in kingston and have a couple of mailing addresses at the border) and can bring parts back.
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Yes, I will be reworking the forums so that all H1 specific forums etc will be inclusive to HMMWV since they are very similar.
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com