Bad day at work…

All the old forum posts have been moved here.
thedub
CHC Pilot

Bad day at work…

Post by thedub »

Sometimes my friends complain they are having the “day from hell” at work… today was one of those days, for the most part its stress related because the copier won’t work, the internet is down so they can’t go on face book or they missed some stupid deadline…. If they screw up it’s a slap on the wrist from the boss and that’s the end of it.

My job is a little different, when we screw up it usually makes the news around the world and in some cases a body bag is required. We just got word that a young guy (23) was killed yesterday on another project, hit by a truck. He is not the first and sad to say won’t be the last… that is a fact, not an observation. Each year the estimated deaths in the construction industry worldwide is 25,000 – 40,000 people.

Some of the members in our club work in the same game as me, so they know what I mean when I say “same circus, different clowns” it’s the same story everywhere around the world. I have personally seen countless fires and crush injuries, 1 plane crash (we were to be on it but our boss was an idiot... thank God!4 dead including one of our team), I don’t know how many stretcher cases and 2 explosions; I pulled 2 guys out of one of those, both badly burned and broken. One guy didn’t make it. I still have a little patch of his skin grafted to my arm from pulling him out, Now that’s a bad day at work!

Right now the young manys family are still dealing with the fact he wont be home, ever again.

OK this is the end of my little rant but, the next time you are having a bad day, remember it could be a whole lot worse!
[center]Yellow H2
Mississauga, Ontario.

Just because I drive a HUMMER don't mean I don't care about the planet.... in fact it means I can get to most parts without any help!
(try that in your prius)
[/center]
Montana
CHC Pilot

Re: Bad day at work…

Post by Montana »

This story is very humbling. I was griping about stress at work and after reading your story and being moved by the tragic sadness my work doesnt seem half so bad. My thoughts are with that young mans family.
[center]God Loves Dirty Girls![/center]
03H2
CHC Pilot

Post by 03H2 »

Thats really to bad man, i feel for you and the family of that young man. I deal with alot of smaller injuries out here in the oilpatch..crushes,pinches,burns,chemical burns, twists, sprains.....knock on wood i have never had to deal with a casuality and hope to never have to.
[center]o [O] I I I I I I I [O] o[/center]

[center]HUMMER: Curing those "Almost got there" Blues....[/center]
Hesh
CHC Trail Guide

Post by Hesh »

Puts things into an often-overlooked perspective. Im assuming you are a firefighter or first responder of sorts?
thedub
CHC Pilot

Post by thedub »

[quote name='Hesh' timestamp='1320524655' post='32285']

Puts things into an often-overlooked perspective. Im assuming you are a firefighter or first responder of sorts?

[/quote]

I have been on the ERT on numerous projects, but regarding the explosion.. I was in the right place at the right time. we all look out for each other in the field, just like the military its a brotherhood and very disfunctional family.

I have a saying for stress "pressure is for pipes, stress is for steel and I aint ether"
Last edited by thedub on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Yellow H2
Mississauga, Ontario.

Just because I drive a HUMMER don't mean I don't care about the planet.... in fact it means I can get to most parts without any help!
(try that in your prius)
[/center]
dwaxman1
CHC Trail Guide

Post by dwaxman1 »

Sad to hear....
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --> 
boarral
CHC Pilot

Post by boarral »

I am fortunate that I am not directly involved with situations like that, though given where I work, we're overseeing Western Canada's largest business park, so we often here, and occasionally observe, some particularly horrendous accidents and injuries.

In the city I grew up in, my father managed the ambulance service, and experienced several horror stories. Eventually, one would grow numb to the lesser incidents, but there would always be the occasional major one that would hit particularly hard.

I agree. It certainly puts things in perspective.
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer

2005 Hummer H2 SUT
thedub
CHC Pilot

Post by thedub »

As I posted the original comment, we had a near miss on site, the guy is OK just his pride was hurt.

Since the first post on November 5th, unfortunately I can add 2 more guys to the list in the few days since… just here in Alberta.
[center]Yellow H2
Mississauga, Ontario.

(try that in your prius)
[/center]
brettlandry
Club Member

Post by brettlandry »

What are you talking about?