Steel Cable vs. Synthetic Winch Line

You like to leave the road behind? Ride the dirt trails? Do some rock climbing? Or do you just want to get Muddy? Then this is the spot
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Steel Cable vs. Synthetic Winch Line

Post by whitehumh2 »

So I know this is going to open a major can of worms but if you are going to be buying a winch before next year, it is a question that you will be asked or you will ask yourself...Do I get Steel or do I go to Synthetic???

Hopefully I will be able to guide you thru the fine points of each so you can make your own decisions...but just for the record...I am VERY BIASED!!!

So, the mainstay of all winches has always been steel cables. They are cheap and durable and normally are the standard cable on every brand of winch. Most every company has two versions of the same winch, one with steel cable and one with synthetic...but is synthetic really better than Steel Cable??? I say HELL NO!

So synthetic cable does have many great advantages;
1. It floats.
2. Normally about 30% the weight of the same size and weight as steel cable.
3. You can use it without gloves.
4. Very Low Energy in the even of a cable failure.
5. It is technically 25-30% stronger than the same diameter steel cable.

Now while all of these are great...most people don't realize that synthetic line was actually designed for Marine applications first and foremost due to all of those afore mentioned points. BUT like everything, when used for it's intended purpose it does great! Use it outside of it's realm of design and that is where the problem starts.

Some disadvantages of synthetic cable;
1. It IS affected by UV Light
2. It Hates Sharp Edges
3. It Hates MUD
4. It Hates Rocks
5. It Hates Trees
6. It Hates Heat
7. For Long life it must be cleaned and thoroughly inspected after every use!

Most synthetic cable has a special sheath to protect the cable from the heat of the winch while working since this would degrade the cable....it also causes your winch to run hotter since it acts as an insulator which has it's own negative side effects on the winch!

Most every synthetic cable comes with a moveable rock guard to allow you to place the protection where it is needed...but you better keep an eye on it!!

Now when a synthetic cable breaks it does drop to the ground with very little stored energy and you will be able to resplice it...but like any cable...if it has failed it is scrap and must be replaced!

For synthetic cable to actually survive...you would need to wash it with soap and water and then dry it out before spooling it back on your winch...that is even if you simply splash thru a really deep mud hole and don't even use your winch...you still need to clean the cable!

One thing you will also notice, if you are talking about a competition...only Synthetic Cable is allowed...because everyone says it is safer. But in reality it is also because the guys can run with it, throw it, etc. so it just helps to cut their time down...but when you have sponsors...you get a new line for every race!

I LOVE STEEL Cable!!

Yes you need to wear gloves but guess what we are offroad so you probably need them anyways for setting up the rigging anyways!

Yes it is harder to carry and harder to manipulate and heavier too!

Yes it can kill you IF you are in the wrong place!

What most people don't realize, Is that steel cable is very safe...it always tells you when it is time to replace it! If your cable has no frays and no kinks...you are good to go! If you are starting to see multiple flat spots and kinks throughout the length of the cable...it is time to replace it, BEFORE something happens!

Where steel cable really excels, is in durability in all conditions. Ever Notice that Cranes and Tow Trucks/Wreckers...never use synthetic...only STEEL! There is a reason for that...REAL SAFETY! Like I said if your cable is in good condition...it will serve you well for years upon years! Abuse it and you will need to replace it like everything else...but it will take a lot of abuse to make it fail!

Here in Quebec, we have very rocky trails and lots of trees. Synthetic cable doesn't like being in contact with anything while under load. However, what happens if you don't have a clear path to the largest object to pull yourself out...well if you have steel cable...you just run the cable without a care in the world! If you have synthetic, you are trying to figure out how not to damage your very expensive cable! Sounds like a lot of extra stress to me! Isn't the whole point of having a winch is so you can pull yourself out whenever and wherever you get stuck??? Steel Cable works well for this!

Now if you need to use a pulley block, this just complicates things more, now you have multiple attachment points, all of which could pinch the synthetic cable and cut it.

I have seen many many synthetic cables fail, I have only ever seen one steel cable fail...and it was caused by a mount that it was attached too that was not strong enough!

On a trail that is steep and rocky, should something break and you need to hold your Hummer in position while you do repairs...do you want to trust your life to a thread or to steel that will save your life if for whatever reason something shifts during the repair!

So Save your hard earned money and stick with STEEL Cable...use the extra cash you were going to spend on the synthetic on a nice set of LEDs that you have also been wanting for a while!!

I know we are probably going to discuss this at length, so let's go for it!!! BUT you will only ever find steel cable on my Hummer!!!

And just for the record...I have considered Synthetic Rope hundreds of times...but then I see it out on the trail...and I go running back to my STEEL CABLE and apologize!

Kev

Last edited by whitehumh2 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Steel Cable vs. Synthetic Winch Line

Post by whitehumh2 »

Here is a helpful video, that does promote synthetic cable BUT also shows you a great example of how you need to wash it...uh, no thanks, I barely wash my truck!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnM-hT3vr-c

As well, at the Quebec Rally in May this past spring, we had a situation where the synthetic rope simply could not stand up to the strain of the winching and kept breaking and breaking and breaking...finally we swapped on a new spare steel cable and out we came!!!

Winner = STEEL!!!
Last edited by whitehumh2 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

A trick I use to help keep my Steel cable looking and working great is lubricating it once or twice a year. This allows the steel cable strands to glide over each other instead of binding which is normally what causes the frays, kinks and flat spots!

An extra benefit of the same lubricant is that it keeps your cable rust free!

This is the one that I use;

http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/products/wire-rope-lubricant/vitalife-400-wire-rope-lubricant-standard/

This is another brand that does the same thing;

http://www.lelubricants.com/wire-rope-lubricants.html

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

IF you really have your heart set on Synthetic Cable here are two great sites to shop;

http://www.masterpull.com/

http://www.winchline.com/

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Last edited by whitehumh2 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Btw, not all STEEL Cables are created equal, just like not all Synthetic cables are created equal.

Pay attention to the Breaking Strength, which is ultimately the most important!

Steel Cables come in two main types;

1. Fiber Core with Steel Outer Braid

2. Steel Core with Steel Outer Braid

The first type will be lighter and far easier to manipulate and is kind-of a hybrid rope...but that now means that you have both the negative and positive attributes of both Steel and Synthetic!!

Another thing to consider it cable design. The more strands and braids a cable has the stronger and more flexible it will be!

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-terminology-/47-53-202

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-stranding-/47-53-203

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-the-constructions-/47-53-201

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-the-wire-rope-/47-53-200

Some Steel Cables I would Highly Recommend;

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-6-x-1926-wire-rope-steel-core/47-53-214

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-6-x-3637-wire-rope-steel-core/47-53-219

http://www.st-pierre.qc.ca/en/products/020-wire-rope/021-in-lenghts/-7-x-19-aircraft-cable-galv/47-53-192

whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

Another thing that is very important while winching is using a Winch Cable Weight...in the event that the cable does break, it will help to drop the cable to the ground!

I currently use the ARB Winch Weight and I have also used the Winch Saver Product. Both have their advantages and drawbacks but both keep you safe. Over the years I have grown more partial to the ARB one!

http://store.arbusa.com/Tow-Straps-Recovery-Gear-C19.aspx

http://winchsaver.com/

Using One or the other is great and highly recommended...Using Both is BEST!

You can also use and old jacket, a car rubber floor mat, a short heavy piece of chain with a shackle, two pool balls in a pair of shocks tie-together...ideally anything that will help add weight and force the cable to drop in the event that the cable should break!

ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

Fantastic!!  Thanks Kev
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by whitehumh2 »

[quote="ddgermann"]
Fantastic!!  Thanks Kev
[/quote]

Sooo, what have you decided????

ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

Kev
I have steel cable on the drum in good condition.... no need to waste $$$ changing it.
I grew up winching with an old style Land Rover and Jeeps, so having the steel cable scraping against rocks and trees and having had all those painful little holes poked in my hands through the gloves from the cable wickers is good motivation to just get better gloves.
My RZR came with a synthetic line, and that is the only synthetic I intend to own. 
I just can't see myself in the bush worrying about "where" I am getting stuck because of my winch line or washing the damn thing after to be honest. As far as the line weight goes... not really a big deal on an H1.  

Thanks again.
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]