5.9 Cummins Swap

A Great "HOW TO" spot to post your step by steps on how to do, build, or fix something.. NON Truck Specific..
Hollywood
Club Member

5.9 Cummins Swap

Post by Hollywood »

Hey guys

I live in Calgary area & looks like I'm getting ready to do a Cummins swap into my 1999 H1

This is what I have so far.

- 2001 5.9 cummins built up with a set of twin turbos.

- 5 speed allison full race transmission , 3 disc torque converter.

- 2wd/4wd T-case from Predator

- Motor & tranny mounts from Predator

- Adapter plate & flex plate from De Stroked.

- Stand alone controller from De Stroked.

- 3" body/2" suspension lift from Predator.

So the situation I have is the shop that will be doing this the does swap out in Fords ect, BUT not in a H1.

They re pretty good at what they do . but for the most part I've benn doing the majority of the research.

As they have agreed to let me work on it as well to do the swap.

So some of the grey areas I have are the following.

- Lifting the body off what are some of the things to look out for ?

- Wiring is there a simple way to do it?

- Power programmer , need to find a good one that will work well with 100 horse injectors & turbos set @ 80psi.

- Cooling what electric fans are the best?

- Intercooler who has a good one that isn't going to kill my pocket book?( If it does thats fine to.)

- Fass fuel or air dog What size and which is better?

- Gearing the hubs or diffs for more top end?( is it worth the hassle?)

I also have the the 6.5 tubro & 4L80e up for sale.
nitrous
CHC Pilot

Re: 5.9 Cummins Swap

Post by nitrous »

I don't think that gearing change is really the issue with the higher speed.

Others with more experience with their H1 trucks can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the main issue with the higher top speeds is the geared hubs and blowing out the seals. This would be due to increased pressure build up in the hub due to heat and the fact that those gears are spinning pretty fast in an oil bath and frothing up that oil pretty good. Gear changes aren't going to fix that.

My thoughts to get a little more top speed without the hub seal issues I would do the following. A larger diameter tire. That way the rotation of the gears in the hub will be the same, so less frothing of the oil for the same speed. I also see that predator sells a billet cover plate for the hubs that adds some cooling fins. Not really sure how effective they would be an how much of an affect it would have so I would probably skip that. The bigger tires will put more load on the system and create more heat. but I think the main issue with the seals blowing out would be the foaming of the oil and the resultant pressure build up. The breather lines I don't think can keep up to keep the pressure down.

Also half shafts could end up wearing out a lot faster, especially with your suspension lift as it will increase the angle at which they are running at.

But I totally understand your issues with top speed on the H1 also being in Alberta. Guys in other parts of the country probably won't understand the pain. But when I'm driving 250 KM to get to the trail head on highways that are dead straight and a speed limit of 110KM/h and 18 wheelers are passing me... A few extra KM/h would be nice if I could control the risk of hub damage.

I think we spoke on the phone a while back. But I can't wait to see this project completed and you will have to come out wheeling with us once it's up and running.
Hollywood
Club Member

Post by Hollywood »

I was talking to guy who's in calgary and he send me a wack of info where to find parts cheap.

Hummer parts guy is one of them he has trans axles for $200 each and they only take half an hour to change. they re a nice cheap weak link to fix.

As for the hubs and gearing i was hoping to get more top end through gearing . it's a pain driving in a strait line and yes lol a semi passes you!

I did talk to you about a while ago about this project. It begins in 2 weeks and I'll definently have it out wheelin as soon as it's done!

I'll give you a call when I hit days off.
Roy
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Roy »

I have an 99 with the 6BT, All drive line is stock except locking diffs and gears for crawling

my max speed is less than 70mph -3.08 and 42's

6.5 has a red line around 3600, and the cummins 2800-3000 this is where we lose the top end speed.

Leave the stock hubs and diffs. 40 tires,

Gears are alrerady low 2.53. Not sure if you can get lower ratios, say somethine around 2.10

Best upgrade will be the 12100 cv shafts and plow or heavier front springs. I run M1113 springs,approx 2100# rating

You will lose the a/c and mechanical fan. Use 4 electric fans with a fully enclosed shroud.Alum rad will help.

Since it looks like you want quick take offs and not low end offroad torque,Seems like the combo is doing fine.

What a/c system are you putting back? or not?
Last edited by Roy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
                                      99 Wagon
                          5.9 Cummins 12 valve  mech.                                     Stocking most parts to fix your H1  :smil9:
                                   41.5-13.5 R16.5 Pitbull Rockers,
                                     Auburn lockers front and rear
                                  Full custom underbody protection
                                                3" body lift
                                          4" side rock tubes                                 
                               12100 rear cv shafts                                                                        

519-272-1761   :cellphone:
<p style="text-align:center;"> 
Hollywood
Club Member

Post by Hollywood »

I belive I will remove the A/C , I never use it anyway and that way I can free up more air flow at the rad.

I'm going to use four fans for sure 2 on top & 2 behind.

After I put the allison 5 speed in Destoked said if I had to add the sixth gear to it they're

controller can manage it. That may be one way to get more top end.

To date there is still no stand alone controller for the newer style 6 speed to do this.

Power programming is a major issue being as Quadzilla shut their doors and they had the only self custom

programmer out there. Now I will have to stack a module like Edge drag comp & Smarty MADS to make this

combo put out the max horse possible. If anyone knows more on stacking your help is needed ! lol

And does anyone have a PDF Manual for my 1999 H1?
GreenMeanie
CHC Pilot

Post by GreenMeanie »

What do you want for the old drive train and can you give me the engine number off the right hand side of the block?? Thanks. I am in Toronto.

I am looking for at risk engines if the price is right. If its a good engine i may still be interested.
Last edited by GreenMeanie on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Early 1997 HMC4, 1 of 35, Original Block H296, 110,000 miles and no cracks yet, G10 green
Custom made Brush Gaurd, Roof Rack, Overhead Console and Sound System.
Hollywood
Club Member

Post by Hollywood »

The engine was fully rebuilt and i only put 10,000 kms on it , the turbo is new , the trany has the same on it and it's brand new it's a 4L80e. PM me and we'll talk on a price.
Roy
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Roy »

[quote name='Hollywood' timestamp='1361328036' post='42412']

I belive I will remove the A/C , I never use it anyway and that way I can free up more air flow at the rad.

I'm going to use four fans for sure 2 on top & 2 behind.

After I put the allison 5 speed in Destoked said if I had to add the sixth gear to it they're

controller can manage it. That may be one way to get more top end.

To date there is still no stand alone controller for the newer style 6 speed to do this.

Power programming is a major issue being as Quadzilla shut their doors and they had the only self custom

programmer out there. Now I will have to stack a module like Edge drag comp & Smarty MADS to make this

combo put out the max horse possible. If anyone knows more on stacking your help is needed ! lol

And does anyone have a PDF Manual for my 1999 H1?

[/quote]

I'd be putting all 4 behind, 2-14 2-10or 12 will fit
                                      99 Wagon
                          5.9 Cummins 12 valve  mech.                                     Stocking most parts to fix your H1  :smil9:
                                   41.5-13.5 R16.5 Pitbull Rockers,
                                     Auburn lockers front and rear
                                  Full custom underbody protection
                                                3" body lift
                                          4" side rock tubes                                 
                               12100 rear cv shafts                                                                        

519-272-1761   :cellphone:
<p style="text-align:center;"> 
Hollywood
Club Member

Post by Hollywood »

Awesome man thanks for your help ! the more air I can move the better!
Masic
Club Member

Post by Masic »

I would love to do the same soon. Maybe we can get together and plan a dual build. I have some space available at my shop but have to catch up with you regarding parts and pieces. Pm me and let's see where it goes