1 winch is good but 2 is better - rear Winch H1

A Great "HOW TO" spot to post your step by steps on how to do, build, or fix something.. NON Truck Specific..
nitrous
CHC Pilot

1 winch is good but 2 is better - rear Winch H1

Post by nitrous »

So another project from the past year was a rear winch bumper and winch installation. 

I looked at a few 12,000 lb winches but decided to stick with a Warn M12000 as it would match the front winch already on the truck in terms of spare parts if I got stuck on the trail. 

Other goals for the project were to maximize tire clearance, and departure angle as well as to provide some protection for the body right behind the rear tires. 

I don`t have the second fuel tank so I had lots of room to mount the winch under the body. I have enough fuel to last 400 km of highway driving with just the one tank, and to be honest after 4 hours of driving I need to get out and stretch the legs anyways.

It was designed in Solidworks 3D cad and then cut with a plasma torch and welded up in the garage. 

Also of note was the condition of the bolts I pulled out of the bumper when I took it off the truck, the last 20 years were not kind to those bolts in terms of rust. Needless to say all new bolts were used to connect the new bumper. 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whitehumh2
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: 1 winch is good but 2 is better - rear Winch H1

Post by whitehumh2 »

Looks Awesome!!!

And I totally agree! Every Hummer needs front and rear winches! Sometimes you need to go back out the way you came in! Really Nice Work!!
<p class="bbc_center">1 - There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

3b - a time to tear down and a time to build,

5 - a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

Ecclesiastes 3:1,3b&5a
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Lol, ya I find ANY BOLTS are not friendly to us, when a bolt come off easy, I get scared, thinking something bads gonna happen, Hana

That looks great!! You definitely have a nice talent ..,
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

Again, great work! That is a seriously strong looking bumper/winch mount. Your truck is looking really good.

I have a bucket of rotted bolts and fasteners from my restoration too. It amazing some were even holding. There is shiny new grade 8 bolts sticking out all over now. 

Monk the ones that came off easy broke first....haha

D
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]