Fire damage 2000 Wagon

Have a technical question about your ride, or just looking for help? This is the spot..members unite to assist each other.
Technical help available in Alpha section
DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Fire damage 2000 Wagon

Post by DerekCanuck »

Found this 2000 with fairly extensive fire damage.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DerekCanuck on Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Fire damage 2000 Wagon

Post by Monk »

Wow, that musta been a decent fire
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Post by DerekCanuck »

Looks like it may have started in fuse area. Only salvageable parts are the chasis, barn doors, maybe the roof, some of the tub. Any thoughts on what a fair value would be? I was thinking in the 10-12k area
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

I wouldn't pay more than 5k for that. You basically buying a rolling used parts bin. The stuff that's cooked is the expensive stuff. I just went through a major restoration on my 99 and have a good feel of how much it all costs. If you can get it cheap it may be worth it depending on the condition of the mechanical stuff you can salvage. The lighting and body stuff is relatively cheap to buy new.

Good luck Derek,

Derek (Edmonton)
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

Plus... it looks like that was a really hot fire as the windshield opening and firewall are distorted badly.... How's the Frame and front end components? Possibly heat stressed and possibly warped or brittle.

Hmmmmmm....  tempting but there are trucks sitting at dealers and in alleys that need 30K in work you could pick up cheap for a parts bin or part of a merge that would be much better.

Capital has one (older wagon) thats looks ok that has been sitting there for months......

Just a thought...

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Post by DerekCanuck »

Well I broke the bank today, well not really, bought the charred wagon.  spent a couple hours pulling junk out of inside, pulled hood, intercooler and transmission cooler.  Both look ok.  I will try pressure testing tomorrow.

I think the motor will be ok.  I am going to pull it and have a local engine rebuilder go through it.

Looks like the fire was under the steering column, the gauges, column, and all plastic are shot.

CTIS, brake booster, fuse blocks, and wiring harness are trashed.   Will need a new window frame, possibly a A-section, which I have luckily enough found.

If anyone needs a wagon roof this one may be available if the ambulance top that I recently purchased works out.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Man id be sooooo over my head,,,hehehe

Good for you, I hope motors tight, and turns out to be a fun project,.

Take lots of pics as ya go please I'd def be interested to watch ....
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

My hats off to you! It will be an adventure for sure. There is lots of parts kicking around in all our sheds and garages so yell if you need stuff. Hope it all comes together great for you.  

I would also love to see pics along the way or drop by and check it out sometime.

DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Post by DerekCanuck »

Ok, have it stripped down to the bare body.  Looks like the fire was in the fuel filter area left side of the engine, right where the aluminum of the A-pillar and windshield shows signs of damage. 

Pulled the seats, they look ok, besides a bit of cloth and foam damage, next to see if they can be repaired and recovered.

Steering column did not fair too well.  Will be looking for another.

Pulling body off the frame tomorrow, see if I can get to the glow plugs, remove, lubricate pistons, see if I can get it to roll over.

Pulled doors, will double check wires and if possible put power to the window regulators and locks to ensure they are working properly.

Fun little project.  Pics tomorrow.
DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Post by DerekCanuck »

Ok so body is off, now i can work on the engine, looks to be a 2005-2006 LLY duramax, 5 speed trans, 261xhd transfer case. Exhaust needs to be reworked/mandrel bent. Also i broke the fuel selector valve when hoisting, missed two fuel lines, ooops. Ive got the ambulance body on jacks, ready to start modifying. Hopefully move into my new shop in January where i can continue. Wiffee kicks me out of the garage in the winter. Now on the hunt for duramax fuel system and electrical parts. Have a pile of steel for powder coating, more to come.

Currently need:

H1 steering column( 1 on ebay in florida)

Fuel srlector valve

Master cylinder hydro booster and possibly ABS module( might be able to use a 2005-2006 duramax donor or go to non ABS for merely offroad use.

Interms of lockers whats the best, most reliable for h1 hummer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.