Frame rail swap out

Have a technical question about your ride, or just looking for help? This is the spot..members unite to assist each other.
Technical help available in Alpha section
DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Frame rail swap out

Post by DerekCanuck »

Looking for that post on swapping out a frame rail, got one that someone did some welding on, thinking about swapping it
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Frame rail swap out

Post by Monk »

Did you mean my accident thread or were you talking about another one?

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.canadianhummerclub.com/forum ... fix/page-1' class="bbc_url" title="">http://www.canadianhummerclub.com/forum ... /page-1</a>

Roy and I (mostly Roy) replaced my driver side frame rail along with all the other fun stuff to go along with the accident.
Last edited by Monk on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Post by DerekCanuck »

yes, thanks Monk, think i better get a torch handy..and some big sockets..what do you figure it took Roy for time to swap a frame rail?
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

I THINK amg time was like 17-20hrs (forget off hand but that's close) hours....pfffft dont believe it.

As Roy said before we started , lol " it's a Canadian truck, so double it" lol he speaks the truth...

Id say (Roy correct me please) almost 40 hours, with patience and burns...Haha

Also if I had to do it again I would just buy a whole bunch of new grade 8 bolts/nuts, (looks nice after all together)

Also, I tend to not be as organized as Roy, and ran out a nuts and bolt, lol, before she was done.

You are 100% correct a torch is a must so many bolts that are rusted/fozen on.

So many bolts are really hard to get at but the are obtainable just difficult.

The only casualty we had was the fuel selector valve was forgotten to be unbolted when we lifted the body side off the frame, lol, she snapped.

Not sure if it was necessary, but we loosened all the body mounts and I'm sure it made a big difference in making life easier on lifting the body as we switched frame rail.

And little things like brake lines can be inspected as you'll have to remove all that stuff anyways.

Rear frame section by the tank (drive that tank dry before ya start) those bolts were hard to grab.
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

It could have gone quicker but my memory that time's fading so I'm not too sure but it was definitely heavy work

3/4" wrenches and sockets are your best friends with frame stuff.

Other sizes to, but lol they got the most use
Last edited by Monk on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

DerekCanuck
CHC Pilot

Post by DerekCanuck »

Good stuff, yes and I snapped a darn fuel selector valve on my first body off job too..lol.. thank goodness for old ford crew cabs at the wrecking yard..

I will plan 3 full days, with limiting the beer intake.. and a few trips to the bolt supply store as we go along..

Thanks for the advice on the job.
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Monk »

Yes anytime I go to scrap yard to walk around for odd parts,I'll always keep an eye out for them cuz I know they're not cheap.

Just wanted to give it update,

Since Roy's ,my baby has been running like a top, I swear I've been really really enjoying it.

Lots of hwy driving and heat wasn't "to" bad, in -38, lol just needed some warm up time LOL
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A