Long-trip Dependency

Have a technical question about your ride, or just looking for help? This is the spot..members unite to assist each other.
Technical help available in Alpha section
gjberta
Club Member

Long-trip Dependency

Post by gjberta »

I recently brought home "Helga", our new-to-us 2007 H3x with 145,000 Kilometers (91,000 miles).

Very happy to finally be able to drive one, Love It!

Here comes the stupid question = dependability.

Our plan is, in a couple of years to drive out to the Maritimes, Newfoundland and then up to the NW Territories / Yukon, towing a 17' Zodiac RIB.

We can not afford a new full size SUV and really like the H3 for the room it has and its ability off-road.

BUT!, are we being realistic about taking it 1)- for long drives away from home / garage, and 2)- to places where life depends on not breaking down somewhere in -40 below?

How many in here have the Hummer for a locally driven toy?

How many have all the faith in these ol' gals to go the distance?

Our traveling will not be for a couple of years, after my wife retires, so I will have ample opportunity to grow used to trusting Helga. Right now we have so far put less than 300 Km on her.....

What do you'all suggest for spares and tools to take along on far away trips? (Aside from assortment of hand tools, extra battery, portable generator, which we always carry.)

For starters, a good code reader is on my list and I would appreciate input as to an affordable make / model, where to get it in Canada? 

I wonder if it is at all possible to come up with a list of spares one should have for an H3. (I am used to carrying a lot of obvious spares aboard large diesel boats, like impellers, fuel filters, motor oil and oil filters, pump rebuild kits, injectors, etc...)

I hope I am posting this in the right forum, please move it if that is not the case.

Helga H3x

.                                          .

http://www.cruisingdog.com
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Re: Long-trip Dependency

Post by ddgermann »

Your H3 is no different than a pickup with that many KMs on it. Unless it was heavily offroaded before you bought it.

If it’s got a sound front end and drive line, it should be good to go anywhere.

I would not be super worried about loading it up with spare parts. Just drive and enjoy your trip. Even if it does fail it’s not exotic so worst case scenario is you wait a day or 2 for the parts to arrive.

Great questions and a code reader is always handy yes. That’s what I would bring. Nothing else.
1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
gjberta
Club Member

Post by gjberta »

[quote="ddgermann"]
"Your H3 is no different than a pickup with that many KMs on it. Unless it was heavily offroaded before you bought it.

If it’s got a sound front end and drive line, it should be good to go anywhere."

Thank you!
[/quote]
Helga H3x

.                                          .

http://www.cruisingdog.com
GreenMeanie
CHC Pilot

Post by GreenMeanie »

I only take my truck out for longer trips. It takes 100k just to warm it up LOL
I figure you have a better chance keeping it running if you drive it, than letting it sit or using it for short mall runs.
I routinely take 700-1000 mile road trips to Ottawa, New Jersey and the like.Otherwise it will sit in the garage and
i will drive the beater around town instead.
Early 1997 HMC4, 1 of 35, Original Block H296, 110,000 miles and no cracks yet, G10 green
Custom made Brush Gaurd, Roof Rack, Overhead Console and Sound System.
Archngel
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Archngel »

I had an H3 06, 08,09 and then my Alpha 2010

I put nearly 160k km on the 1st one, and 65k km for the 08,09 and my Alpha 2010 has 180k km on and never really broke down except for 1 time with the Alpha and it was my fault, where the inner shaft of the front diff broke at an off road event

Other than that, nothing. If anything happen, any GM dealership or shop can take care of the Hummer as it is a GM.

So i would not worry about carrying tons of spare parts or taking it on long ride. Im from montreal and made a tour of the cote Nord and the maritimes and back without any issue. Even been from Montreal to south Bend Indiana, 15 hrs ride same day without any issue, so you should just enjoy it.
Last edited by Archngel on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Wake up , it's off road time.

White 10 H3 Alpha, Black on White, Adventure, Toyo Open Country MT 315/75-16,

Front and Rear lockers, Under Body Armor, Rocker Protector, T-Max12000, Gobi Stealth Rack
<p class="bbc_center">White 08 H2 SUT Luxury on BF K02 AT 37x12.50R17 with Rancho 9000 serie
<p class="bbc_center">the rest is on the works