Fuel Tank Selector Valve Replacement

Have a technical question about your ride, or just looking for help? This is the spot..members unite to assist each other.
Technical help available in Alpha section
Injunfarian
CHC President

Fuel Tank Selector Valve Replacement

Post by Injunfarian »

Not so much a question but more so a write-up that hopefully can save my fellow Hummer(H1) enthusiasts some money.

So since I put my truck back on the road on the July 1st long weekend, I have been stuck in Aux Tank mode which can by a PITA with how often you need to stop at the fuel stations.

I looked up the price for a new fuel selector valve from various hummer parts sources online and was surprised by the $400-$800 USD price tag on the part. I did some cross reference and found this guy on Amazon for much less:

https://amzn.to/2HoVrMo

UPDATE: Seems as though some are having issues with the Amazon Part failing, they have recommended either the OEM AM General Part or if you still want to be budget friendly then the Dorman Part:

https://amzn.to/34uJ5AT

71HpZ17FpHL._SL1500_.jpg

I showed Roy and he says it looks good, so I placed the order.

NOTE: Please make sure to disconnect the battery before pulling the old one off.

When it arrived, I pulled off the old one and put them side by side and sure enough all looks good.

69377469_532381884172139_7209682843532787712_n.jpg

Don't mind the orange/yellow protectors/covers.

Please note when taking off the old fuel lines you need to remember where they go on the unit, since how the hoses are routed their location in terms of front/back or out is pretty self explanatory however the top/bottom(source/return) is where you will get mixed up. To solve this I simply put a zip tie around each bottom hose so I could distinguish between them.

69295663_387728805476449_8997275758573387776_n.jpg

Also I originally was being very careful with the clips as not to break them and be able to reuse them, however after getting 5 off flawlessly the last one(of course) gave issues and I ended up breaking it.. While looking them up online to source them out I found that it was recommended to replace them anyways. So I ordered a set found here:

https://amzn.to/2HrxOm7

0245684_1_700x700.jpg

Make sure you get these clips and not the Ford/GM clips since they will NOT work.

To reinstall the hoses you simply add the clips first then push onto the valve until they click.

The removal/install was pretty easy, removal would have went better if I would have just used a screwdriver to pop all of the clips off not worrying about breaking them.

Here is the new unit all installed.

69302314_388063128776350_9174027565612924928_n.jpg

Please note doing this job, you WILL get diesel on you, you WILL also need to purge the fuel system of air, make sure you do so both with Main tank selected and Aux tank selected since the lines before the valve will have air in them.

The unit sits ontop of the frame rail so it does make it a bit difficult to get to the clips especially if you have bigger paws like I do but still very much doable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
Monk
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: Fuel Tank Selector Valve Replacement

Post by Monk »

What's a Kick In The Head, hahaha that is a good find .

Because the price was so high new, I went to the wrecking yard and luckily found one on a ford truck that was like 20 bucks and it looked pretty new.

But after my accident, it broke (lol, and could not find a second one at the wrecking yard )so I had to break down and get new, and Roy got me one. His price was very good!! But lol, nothing like that, Haha

The first time I changed it I stupidly spilled diesel in my ear and was semi deaf for a few weeks, sucked!!

Nice write up btw, always good to have good reads before people start a project like this. Love pics!!

Lol, I'm sure you would go to that full jug of hand cleaner after that job hahaha
Last edited by Monk on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96 HMC4

Optimizer N/A

Super Swamper IROKS 39.5x13.5x 16.5
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Yeah my arms were full of diesel, lol.. Worse part is I moved the hose out of the way a bit while I worked.. little do I know it was dripping onto the transmission pan lip.. and running down the top of it to surprise attack me... a drip landing square in my nostril.. Definitely not ideal, smelled diesel for the rest of the day.

However yes when I first looked at the pricing I was like.. Looks like my Hummer is a single tank hummer for awhile, until I did some digging/research, sure enough all works great no issues yet. I figured I could save a couple hummer friends the high price tag and share the knowledge. Glad you enjoyed the write up.. The swap was pretty straight forward with disconnect battery, hoses, wire, unbolt and then reverse to install so instead of focusing too much on that I figured the main take away is the better pricing on the valve itself and the knowledge of the clips(buy new and don't mind breaking old) since that was my main take away of the job.
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
Injunfarian
CHC President

Post by Injunfarian »

Also another note is that white clips go on the top hoses and the black clips on the bottom hoses.
Cliff A
1998 AM General HMCO

Lambton Shores, ON.
www.eToolSmith.com
ddgermann
CHC Pilot

Post by ddgermann »

1999 H1 HMC4 (black on black)

Hummer: from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia. n.[font=inherit;font-size:.9em;font-style:inherit;font-weight:inherit] "One who, or that which excels in any quality, especially in general energy or speed."[/font]
Roy
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Roy »

The lines are 2 sizes. Inlt and outlet. Same as the retainer clips. Great job.
                                      99 Wagon
                          5.9 Cummins 12 valve  mech.                                     Stocking most parts to fix your H1  :smil9:
                                   41.5-13.5 R16.5 Pitbull Rockers,
                                     Auburn lockers front and rear
                                  Full custom underbody protection
                                                3" body lift
                                          4" side rock tubes                                 
                               12100 rear cv shafts                                                                        

519-272-1761   :cellphone:
<p style="text-align:center;">