How to get rid of plague on chrome rims?

Chrome and flash more your style? You rolling on 24”s or larger? You shine you ride regularly? Then this is the place!
collega
CHC Pilot

How to get rid of plague on chrome rims?

Post by collega »

Hello, everybody! May be somebody knows how to get rid of plague from winter salt on my chrome rims? I was too lazy to take them off in winter time and in several years my shiny chrome rims became covered with plague in some parts, especially deep inside.Any ideas how to clean them? I tried already some of those rim cleaners from Canadian Tire. It helps just partially but some parts still covered by plague. It looks like chrome is already damaged by road salt.
Thank You. 
Last edited by collega on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hummer,like nothing else!
shotgun-cam
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Re: How to get rid of plague on chrome rims?

Post by shotgun-cam »

try plain old coca cola bro used it on company limo cady's bumpers. Also to clean rims use a power " spin brush" toothbrush cheaper and smaller (gets in where commercail brushes won't fit) .  
Enjoy Life and Leave the World a Little Better Each Day!!
collega
CHC Pilot

Post by collega »

Thank You very much for your advice! I will try to it in the shortest period of time! But I think that road salt already damaged some part of rims eating chrome.
shotgun-cam
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by shotgun-cam »

all GM chrome rims have problems even Rhino's one got pitting so bad it was a warranty replacement. If realy bad either paint them or replate.
Enjoy Life and Leave the World a Little Better Each Day!!
Archngel
CHC Trail SuperGuide

Post by Archngel »

I don't suggest replating, its very expensive, I've looked into that and it would cost over 850 a wheel to re-chrome ( 16 in ), you can get good ones for 225 on eBay. As for painting, ive checked for powder coat, you have to send them to have the chrome removed, then powder coated, Cost of operation, 200$ for dechroming maybe more, 400$ or more for powder coating, total + 600 a wheel. 
Last edited by Archngel on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Wake up , it's off road time.

White 10 H3 Alpha, Black on White, Adventure, Toyo Open Country MT 315/75-16,

Front and Rear lockers, Under Body Armor, Rocker Protector, T-Max12000, Gobi Stealth Rack
<p class="bbc_center">White 08 H2 SUT Luxury on BF K02 AT 37x12.50R17 with Rancho 9000 serie
<p class="bbc_center">the rest is on the works
collega
CHC Pilot

Post by collega »

My chrome rims not original GM rims. They are 24 inch special aftermarket rims. And I don,t want to repaint them. I would like to keep them shiny but because of my lazyness I didn't change them for several winters to continue to use them under influence of winter salt. As a result- they lost right now appearence that they had before when I took care about them.
BRUTE
CHC Pilot

Post by BRUTE »

Where are you located Collega ?
collega
CHC Pilot

Post by collega »

In Canada, Toronto area. And You?
collega
CHC Pilot

Post by collega »

Today I cleaned my chrome rims with rim cleaner and wash it with water and after that I applied fair amount of petrol jelly( vaseline) to cover all surfaces of chrome rims with thin coat of vaseline. This way I try to preserve rims from winter salt and dirt. At least, I will keep them in fair condition( not excellent like several years ago).
collega
CHC Pilot

Post by collega »

I saw some videos featuring how guys were cleaning chrome rims and parts with coca- cola and cooking foil! It's amazing results!